Monday, August 25, 2008

Why I *Heart* Kombucha

Things have been endlessly busy for me and Josh for most of this year. It's been a pretty intense time of transition and growth for our company. This has culminated into a couple of occasions for me recently when I've hit a wall. I'm the type of person that really values and appreciates down time. It gives me an opportunity to breathe, ground and process everything happening. Recharge my batteries, basically. Sometimes though, there doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day to honor that need! 

So this morning started off with a bang unexpectedly. My morning intention to run and jumpstart my energy turned into jumpstarting my schedule and rushing out the door (with just enough time to make a probiotic smoothie). By the time I was in the car, my cell phone earpiece was in and my day was in full motion... 

All I could think of was, "I need to make sure I eat the right foods today... things that will ground and satiate me." I was deep in stress mode and wanting something to calm my nerves. 

For those of you who don't know this, stress is one of the most toxic experiences for the body. Stress can sap our bodies of B-vitamins, vitamin C and A, and more. These effects along with the subsequent fluctuation of hormone levels can wreak a lot of havoc on our systems. 

By the time I walked into the office I was definitely feeling overwhelmed and the stress wheel was in motion. I had been thinking of stopping by the store before getting to work so that I could pick up a Kombucha, which is full B-vitamins and probiotics... an excellent replenisher for a busy lifestyle. Sadly there wasn't time (yes, I know I need to just make time) and a dozen more challenges were ahead of me. 

Thankfully, we have the most amazing Office Director ever! We love Britney because she's such a great contributor to our company and our lives. And of course, what did she pull out of her backpack at that perfect moment? A green Kombucha with my name on it. Don't you love how you can request something of the universe and everything aligns to make that request happen? Sigh. 

I nursed myself all morning with that glorious elixir. I felt so much better. Stress or no stress, busy or mellow, raw food enthusiast or not, Kombucha is one of the most amazing products that has become widely available in stores the past few years. I swear it makes any day better when I have one. 

GT's is the most popular of the brands out there, but lately I've been really enjoying Kombucha Botanica and Organic Pastures varieties. I think Josh and I are going to learn to make our own pretty soon as well. There's nothing like making your own food and drink when you're able to. I'll write more when we start the project :-) 

All the best for a grounded day! 


3 comments:

Unknown said...

yup - it's a lifesaver. kombucha is a serious magical elixir for me, i take it everywhere i go.. (i even sneaked a couple bottles into my cooler at BRC this year - nothing like a cool gingerberry beverage on a hot playa morning :)
i'm getting quite anxious though as i'm moving from san francisco to spain this month & i can't imagine my life without kombucha! sigh.. i think i'll just have to start making it myself... any tried-and-true tricks of the trade out there??
p.s. i'm going to enjoy my morning GT now along with my Sweet & Spicy (gently air dried) Pistachios... :D

Elizabeth said...

There is some really good info out there on making kombucha. All it really takes are a few ingredients to get started. Just make sure when brewing, you only use glass as the mushroom spore can absorb anything.
Here's some pretty decent info I found on the subject: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Kombucha-Tea
Happy brewing!

Mer said...

We've been making it for a few years now, and my partner says it definitely helps him feel so much better! I do have a caveat however, don't put too much sugar in it. For me anyway, I have a family history of rheumatoid arthritis with the characteristic early graying hair, tooth decay, etc. Since I gave up refined sugar, fruit juices, corny syrup (pun intended), etc I have found that I am very susceptible to the bad effects of sugar. Not to mention the stress of a new baby and breastfeeding. I was using too much sugar and not letting it ferment long enough, and I developed two cavities, which is from the sugar not being metabolized completely via the scoby. So, just watch that sugar, at least if you are prone to RA. It really does work magic, doesn't it?